- Concomitant other diagnosis
- Suicidal or homicidal ideation
- Advanced age
- Not responding well to ED treatment
- Prior history of delirium tremens
- Alcohol withdrawal seizures
- Rathlev NK, Ulrich AS, Delanty N, D’Onofrio G: Alcohol-related seizures. J Emerg Med 31: 157, 2006.
- Greenberg DM, Lee JW: Psychotic manifestations of alcoholism. Curr Psychiatry Rep 3: 314, 2001.
- Kahan M, Borgundvaag B, Midmer D: Treatment variability and out come differences in emergency department management of alcohol withdrawal. Can J Emerg Med 7: 87, 2005.
- Clinical Institute Withdrawal Assessment for Alcohol scale. CIWA-Ar available at: http://www.stvincentshospital.ie/documents/CIWA-Ar.pdf. Accessed February 22, 2010.
- D’Onofrio G, Rathlev NK, Ulrich AS, et al: Lorazepam for the prevention of recurrent seizures related to alcohol. N Engl J Med 340: 915, 1999.
- McCowan C, Marik P: Refractory delirium tremens treated with propofol: a case series. Crit Care Med 28: 1781, 2000.
- Kang TM: Propofol infusion syndrome in critically ill patients. Ann Pharmacother 36(9): 1453, 2002.
- Mayo-Smith MF, Beecher LH, Fischer TL, et al; for the Working Group on the Man- agement of Alcohol Withdrawal Delirium, Practice Guidelines Committee, American Society of Addiction Medicine: Management of alcohol withdrawal delirium: an evi- dence-based practice guideline. Arch Intern Med 164: 1405, 2004.
- Kosten TR, O’Connor PG: Management of drug and alcohol withdrawal. N Engl J Med 348: 1786, 2003.