Document your conversation (better to record all telephonic conversations)
We all have seen nasty consultants who come to the ED and start throwing things around.
Consultants are like "guests in your house". Treat them the way you treat your guests. This is going to turn things in your favour often getting them to do stuff you wanted to be done (procedure, admission etc.)
- Not to raise your Voice or Swear – Bad for you and for the patient as well
- Don’t threaten them
- Salerno, Stephen M., et al. "Principles of effective consultation: an update for the 21st-century consultant." Archives of internal medicine 167.3 (2007): 271-275.
- Kessler, Chad S., et al. "A prospective, randomized, controlled study demonstrating a novel, effective model of transfer of care between physicians: the 5 Cs of consultation." Academic Emergency Medicine 19.8 (2012): 968-974.
- EMRAP - Feb 2011 Episode Summary
- EMRAP - Sep 2013 Episode Summary